Why talk politics when we can heavily debate salsa! I mean, there are so many different thoughts on salsa. Chunky. Smooth? Green vs. red? Spicy or not spicy? Whatever camp you are in, today I am going to show you have to make pico di gallo and then 2 additional ways you can mix it up and how to use the variations.
Pico de Gallo Recipe
1 pound of tomatoes (preferably local and in season tomatoes)
1 sweet white onion
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, rough chopped
1-2 limes, juiced
Salt to taste
*Optional: 1-2 jalapeños or other favorite pepper
1/2 cup fresh corn, removed from cob
1/2 cup black beans
1 avocado, chopped
1. Using a large cutting board dice tomato and white onion into small pieces and add into large bowl.
2. Rough chop cilantro and add to bowl.
3. Juice lime directly into bowl either using a reamer or by hand.
4. Mix all ingredient together.
5. Salt and taste and add more salt if needed.
I love using this simple pico di gallo on top of scrambled eggs in the morning. Or to bring to work with me with a side of chips for a quick snack.
Add in corn and black beans to add some protein and flavor. Keep this in the fridge to top favorite salad or add to soups for an extra boast.
After you add in corn and black beans, try adding in 1 avocado chopped. Stuff the whole mixture with some lettuce, shredded cheese, and sour cream into your favorite tortilla for a quick, easy, and hearty lunch.